SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral.Using SSL enables mode +S and shows ** is using secure connection in the whois, to use SSL you need to check the SSL box in your client , please note to use SSL in web browser clients like www.mibbit.com you'll need to change the server settings to what should look like 'irc.slashnet.org:+6697'(+ is used to define you want to use SSL) the Slashnet SSL port is 6697 not 6667 (default port)
Below are several of the most popular of the many IRC clients currently available:
- X-Chat Aqua Good IRC client based off of X-Chat but lacks some features.
- MacIrssi A good IRC client that doesn't have as many features as X-Chat Aqua. Basically a GUI for IRSSI.
- Colloquy A native Aqua IRC client that integrates well into OS X and offers a rich featureset.
- Linkinus An IRC client with the special option to view more than one channel/conversation in one window. Caution: Shareware, USD 20.00
- ChatZilla an IRC extension for Firefox.
- Irssi IRC client that runs in the console.
- Pidgin (aka: Gaim) MSN/AIM/Yahoo/ICQ/.../IRC client that uses GTK, but also has a text-only front end. X-Fire plugin available.
- X-Chat Easy to use graphical IRC client.
- or any browser [http.slashnet.org/webclient] (particularly useful if isp blocks irc)
For a more comprehensive and comparative listing of :
Where are we?
The players of vendetta can often be found in IRC, we lurk on the server irc.slashnet.org and have a couple of main channels.
- #vendetta is basically talk about anything, sometimes the developers ask for some input here.
- #vorelay is the new home to the IRC to Vendetta bot, it relays chat from ingame to here, and visa versa.
- #vrctc is the re-enabled relay of the CtC channels
- #vendetta-itani is for Itani nation people
- #viper an access-restricted channel for the Viper Guild, their friends and allies.
- #vendetta-pirates is an access-restricted channel for an elite group of pirates. Attempt to join this channel and you WILL be kicked and banned from the channel instantly.
- #RED an access restricted channel for the Red Eternal Dominion Serco military wing. Allies of the Dominion are encouraged to join.
In-game Chat Channel
Through hard work by FiReMaGe and draugath, and thanks to Vendetta OnAir for hosting the IRC bot, it is possible to chat with people in-game while you yourself are not logged into your game.
In order to do this you must first log onto our IRC server (see above) and join the channel #vorelay. Then you must register with relay bot, which is currently named VOA in the channel (and "VOA" in-game):
- Register your IRC nickname if you have not already using NickServ.
- Type: /msg nickserv register <password> <email> Replacing password with the password you'd like and email with your valid email address.
- Now activate your account by following the directions in your email (it will send you an activation code).
- Type: /msg nickserv identify <password>
- In your IRC client, type /msg VOA link <game name> where <game name> is the name of the character in the game you want to act as
- You need to log in to Vendetta and do what the bot told you to do, which should be to type (in-game): /msg VOA link <your IRC nickname>
- Make sure there is a space after the underscore in-game when you enter the command.
- Congratulations, your IRC nickname will now be able to use the bot! You can send the commands you see in the following section, Commands to the bot.
The commands you can send to the IRC bot and what they do.
|/msg vo||Sends the command to the IRC bot allowing you to do the list of commands. MUST BE PREFIXED TO THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS.|| /msg vo help|
/msg vo ch Hello, Vendetta Online!
|as||Changes the default identity (which must be linked to you) that will be used when you chat through the relay. Useful when you have multiple accounts/alts and want to relay "as" one of them instead. Can also be used inline with "ch" or "toch" to temporarily change your identity.|
|ch||Sends your message to the default channel.|
|help||List a short help message including commands. (Hint: type "/msg vo help help" for further info.)|
|ignore||Blocks a specified user from sending you messages.|
|join||Joins the relay to a new channel.|
|leave||Removes a channel from the relay list.|
|link||Links the specified name. You must also use this command ingame to complete the link.|
|links||Lists names that are currently linked.|
|list||Lists the channels the relay is joined to.|
|msg||Sends a private message to a player ingame.|
|toch||Sends a message to the specified stream/channel.|
|unignore||Removes the specified user from your ignore list, allowing them to send you messages.|
|unlink||Destroys a link you have made with the specified name.|